Wednesday, June 20, 2012

After the Battle, Teela Girls of 80's animation part 2

This is the year for doing, so I am trying to wrap up old projects.  I started this painting a year ago when I was staying in a friends basement, discovered the work of Dave Rapoza and was 1500 miles away from home looking for work in a new city.

Then I barely touched it for 10 months.

While waiting for some visual effects to render out or to break up my day (and trying to get things done) I started putting more time into this piece.  The vast majority of its completion were done during late night pushes over the past few weeks.

DClaunch_Teela_AfterTheBattle


 This is my second piece in the series called Girls of 80's animation. Teela always had a special place in my heart.  I am sure that all of those hours spent as a child playing with the action figures and watching He-Man planted the seed of the predilection towards red heads, nice hips and women wearing fur topped boots I suffer from as an adult.

I didnt realize how long it had been since my first piece, Janine from the Real Ghostbusters, was posted up here.  I promise the next in the series will be up sooner than a year and a half.  To refresh your memory, here is Janine.

Janine_Pinup

The original intent was to create pin ups or each of these ladies.  However, after using several Gil Elvgens as my reference for Janine, I realized that copying an old school pinup was only creating a severely flat image.  Add to that a lack of experience with painting digitally and, well, there is a big jump in skill level between the two images.  I've been practicing.

For this I tried to focus more on realism and creating a portfolio piece that I could submit to gaming card companies.  I drifted away from the pinup angle and just tried to make her what her character was supposed to be.  A woman who, as the daughter of Man-At-Arms, never backed down from a fight and even bruised and bloody was as intimidating as she was attractive.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment